Do you know the desperation of the words, “Lord, I need you?”
A few years ago my dad was suffering with Alzheimer’s and my mom was trying to care for him. I would drive up to their house a couple of times each week to give my mom help or give her a break whenever I could. It was a 70 mile drive one way and I remember feeling exhausted from working full-time as I drove. I was feeling very overwhelmed because of all that needed to be done at home, as well as the expectations of work and others.
It was as I was driving along thinking about all of this, feeling at the end of my rope, that Plumb’s song came on the radio, it is titled, “Lord, I Need You.” It’s words spoke to me. I screamed the words as tears streamed down my face. I told the Lord, I can’t keep doing this. I felt desperate.
- I was exhausted, needy for peace and rest.
- I felt alone in being needed and depended on and it felt way too stressful.
- I felt afraid of what was happening to my dad.
- I was grieving while he was still living because he was being ripped away little by little as his mind and abilities deteriorated.
- I felt empty– it seemed like I was constantly running and doing, I didn’t have anymore to give.
- I felt like my life was totally our of control and I was on a nonstop treadmill as things flew at me 90 miles an hour.
- I felt incredibly helpless, because I couldn’t fix the situation. I couldn’t make dad better, and give mom her husband back,
It was with each of these feelings and emotions that my heart cried out “LORD I NEED YOU!”
I was in a place that I didn’t want to be. It was an extremely difficult place.
I want to share hope in the midst of difficult times. I know I am not alone in these feelings. Each of us go through these wilderness places of desperation, but there is hope in knowing that the Lord meets us in our neediness.
For the summer months of June through August I will be posting blogs only on Friday’s.
During June and July my blogs will be about needing the Lord in the midst of:
- Sadness or Depression
- Feeling as if everything in life is out of control.
The Lord sees where we are and knows our hearts deepest needs. He is there to help us. Our souls can be refreshed in the midst of weariness and desperation as the Lord holds us in His love. It is my prayer that your soul will find refreshment as you read the posts.